The Sugar Technologists’ Association of India (STAI) is the national level apex association of professionals associated with the sugar industry and allied fields. It is a non-government not for profit organization, founded in the year 1925 and is headquartered at New Delhi. Presently it has nearly 3000 members working with various sugar mills, refineries, distilleries, research institutes, technology providers and other professionals from sugarcane agriculture, sugarcane biology, sugar technology, factory engineering and co-products. The association, headed by the President, is managed by an elected council comprising of 30 professionals representing different regions of India. The council, elected every three years by STAI members, is assisted by the Standing Committees on Research and Investigation, Advisory Committee on Publications and the Indian National Committee of ICUMSA.
KEY OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION
- To provide opportunities for the acquisition and dissemination of information, exchange of knowledge amongst the members and to provide facilities for presentation of papers and delivery of lectures on subjects connected with and useful to the profession.
- To promote schemes of research relating to the sugar industry and allied fields.
- To establish and maintain a library and to publish and circulate papers, books, journals, magazines, newsletters and other scientific literature connected with the profession.
- STAI is the sole representative from India on the council of the International Society of Sugar Cane Technologists (ISSCT), a global association of scientists, technologists, managers, institutions and companies/corporations concerned with the technical advancement of the cane sugar industry and its co-products. The ISSCT has been in existence for over 95 years during which it has organized 30 Congresses, usually at 3-year intervals.
- Following STAI office bearers/senior members are presently serving on various committees of ISSCT
- - Mr Sanjay Awasthi, President-STAI, as an elected member of the ISSCT Executive Committee for the term 2016-2022.
- - Prof. Narendra Mohan, Director, NSI, Kanpur & Vice President, STAI (Ex-Officio) as a member of the Factory Processing Committee for the term 2019-2022.
- - Dr. M.S. Sundaram, Director, JPMA, Pune and Senior Member STAI as a member of the Factory Engineering Committee for the term 2019-2022.
- - Mr. R.L. Tamak Executive Director & CEO – Sugar Business, DCM Shriram Limited and Senior Member, STAI as a member of Co-products Commission for the term 2019-2022.
- - Mr Anurag Goyal , Head of Marketing & Technical (Sugar Plants & Distilleries) and Council Member, STAI as Councilor from India.
- STAI is the sole representative from India on the Committee of International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis (ICUMSA). Dr (Mrs.) V.S. Keskar is the Convenor of the Indian National Committee on ICUMSA and is also the referee for the Subject GS9 – Plantation White Sugar.
- STAI is also a member of International Association of Professionals in Sugar and Integrated Technologies (IAPSIT)
STAI has successfully hosted the IX ISSCT Congress in 1956 at New Delhi, the XXIII ISSCT Congress in 1999 at New Delhi, ISSCT combined Factory Engineering & Processing workshop in 1994 at Pune and ISSCT Factory Processing Workshop in 2003 at Goa.
The XXXI ISSCT Congress has been awarded to STAI to be held in Hyderabad from 20-23 February 2023. STAI also successfully hosted the 23rd session of ICUMSA in 2002 at Pune and the 4th Session of IAPSIT in 2011 at New Delhi.
STAI has so far successfully organized 79 Annual Conventions and 11 Joint Conventions in collaboration with affiliated associations. The association organizes 4-6 one day seminars/webinars every year in association with affiliated associations, research institutions and various other stakeholders. The Annual Convention held by rotation in different cities, is spread over three days that includes memorial lectures, plenary sessions and technical sessions on different disciplines for presentation of research papers. International Sugar Expo is also held concurrently with the convention on various products and services.
Research & Investigation Activities - STAI has a pool of experts and a cumulative store house of knowledge. It is instrumental in developing & promoting vital process technologies & state of the art equipment for sugar and allied industry applications. Mr. D.K. Goel is the Convenor of the STAI’s Standing Committee on Research and Investigation that takes up R&I projects in following areas, with active involvement of various stakeholders:
- Sustainable Sugarcane Agriculture
- Factory Engineering and Energy Efficiency
- Sugarcane Processing Technologies and Sugar Quality
- Zero Liquid Discharge in Distilleries
- Recycling of Sugarcane/Sugar Factory Wastes
- Co-Products : Cogeneration, Ethanol, Bio-CNG, Downstream Chemicals
STAI recognises the contribution of industry professionals by presenting various awards in different fields of science and technology. The aim of these awards is to recognize the contribution of its members to the sustainable growth of the industry and to inculcate the habit of contributing research papers which must be of direct value to the Industry.
The following awards are presented during the annual convention :
Awards for Contribution to the Sustainable Growth of Sugar & Allied Industry
- - Life Time Achievement Award – This is presented to industry veterans for their outstanding life-time contribution to the development and growth of the Sugar & Allied Industry.
- - Industry Excellence Award – This is presented to sugar factories/entrepreneurs for their significant contribution to the technological advancement of Sugar & Allied Industry.
- - Isgec Gold Model for “Engineering for Excellence” – Process Technology & Process Engineering.
- - J.P. Mukherji Gold Medal for the “Best Engineer of the Year”.
- - Dr. P.J. Manohar Rao Gold Medal for “Excellence in Co-Products”.
Awards for Research Papers Presented during the Annual Convention
The research papers may contain results of original research work done by the authors or the results of adaptation of known processes/equipments/material of construction to the Indian conditions.
- - Dr. Bansi Dhar Gold Medal for the best research paper related to “Innovation in the area of Energy Efficiency & Conservation in Sugar Industry”.
- - Noel Deerr Gold Medal for the best research paper in the areas of – Sugarcane Agriculture, Factory Engineering, Factory Processing and Co-products.
- - STAI Silver Medals for second best research paper in the areas of – Sugarcane Agriculture, Factory Engineering, Factory Processing and Co-products.
- STAI is recognized by the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization.
- President-STAI, is as an expert member on the Advisory Board of the National Sugar Institute, Kanpur and also on NSI’s Standing Advisory Committee on Sugar Standards.
- President-STAI, is as an expert member on the Sugar Industry Sectional Committee (FAD2) of the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- President-STAI, is a special invitee on the Sub-Committee under the Sugar Development Fund, Dept. of Food and Public Distribution, Govt. of India.
- Directory of Cane Sugar Factories and Refineries (India and other SAARC countries) and Distilleries (India, Nepal and Bhutan)
- Annual Convention Proceedings and Souvenir
- Year Book and Technical Data Directory of Indian Sugar Factories
CATEGORIES OF STAI MEMBERSHIP